Sunday, July 13, 2008

Back in Time

One of the things that really interests Susan is the Gaelic language that is used predominantly in this part of Ireland.  So she took pictures of some of the signage in Dingle.

DSC02418

 

DSC02431

DSC02427

Dingle town at night

After dinner, it was time to head to a pub to listen to some traditional Irish music. 

DSC02429

There were two guys playing and singing and they were quite good.  I went to the bar to get a couple of pints of Guinness, but when I got to the bar I noticed the person in front of me getting a Bulmers, so I got one of each.  I must say I like the taste of Bulmers much better.  But I suspect the odds of finding it in Scottsdale are pretty low.

The next morning we headed up to Connor's pass on the way to Clifden.  As expected, there were lots of gorgeous views.

DSC02432

DSC02435

 

DSC02444

While we were stopped at a pullout (or lay by as they call them) a man asked me what the road was like the way we had come from, because he was driving an RV (or caravan) and was wondering how tight the roads were ahead.  Here is a picture of me talking to him.  Look ahead at the car on the road, and this is the wide part!  If he went on, I suspect he'll be wedged in a tight spot still.

DSC02446

After the pass, we stopped in the town of Adare for lunch.  Major cuteness with lots of thatched houses.

DSC02452

DSC02450

DSC02453 

 

After lunch we headed out to Bunratty.  It's a castle and also a folk park where they've either moved houses or recreated them to represent what life was like in the 1800's.  The castle itself was impressive.

DSC02456

But it was all the cottages that were the most fun.

DSC02457

The only downside (even though it was authentic) was that all the cottages had a fireplace burning peat, and the smell wasn't exactly roses.  Of course considering how infrequently they bathed in those days, maybe an overpowering smell other than the person next to you was a good thing.

DSC02458

Susan was taken by the color of this house (she kept calling it periwinkle, looked like blue to me) and said she wanted to paint her house this color.  Good luck getting that past the home owner's association.

DSC02467

And notice that I'm not even wearing my coat in this picture.  A warm and sunny day!

DSC02486

The first Murphy bed!

DSC02464

Then we had to go into the schoolroom.

DSC02520

DSC02527

Susan at work.   

Here's how the well-to-do lived.

 

DSC02487

DSC02533

Clearly a time of little people.

DSC02498 

There was a woman working on an apple pie that they served in the tea house, but I resisted the temptation to run over and get one.

DSC02528

Leaving Bunratty behind, we headed off to our next stop, Clifden.

1 comment:

Janice said...

DAN, that color is periwinkle. I am thinking of painting my house that color as well, and no dreaded Homeowners snoops.

It is time for you guys to come home. JC