Saturday, June 14, 2008

Harry Potter's Place and Slimbridge Wild Fowl Preserve

Lacock, Wiltshire, once a thriving medieval town on the southern end of the Cotswolds, gave us the feeling of living in the Middle Ages, with the exception of the cars parked on the street.  A minor detail.  This town is exceptional and should not be missed by anyone thinking about coming to England.

 

DSC00986

This village began its life during Saxon times where Norman lords ruled this center for wool trade.

DSC00988

 

 

DSC00990

On the left is the Lacock bus stop and down the little alley are little shops, including an authentic millenary where the owner makes fabulous hats.  Too bad there's nowhere to wear them in Scottsdale.  I loved them all.

 

DSC00993

Lacock Millenary shop.  The weather was cool enough for us to layer up with sweaters and jackets.

 

DSC00998

Our stop at the Red Lion for lunch in Lacock was one of the best lunches so far.  This delectable sandwich of brie, bacon, cranberries, and mixed greens made us wonder why we were so apprehensive about English cuisine.   The raised eyebrow is a sign that Dan is either happy or suspicious.   I think he's happy here.

Besides being a beautiful town, Lacock is also the sight of where some wonderful films were made such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Moll Flanders.  In addition, Lacock abbey, is the site where the first  Harry Potter movie was made. 

 

DSC00999

 

 

DSC01000

Entrance to Abbey

Lacock Abbey was founded in 1232 by the Countess of Salisbury, Ela.  When the monasteries were destroyed during the reformation, the abbey was turned into a country house.   And in 2001, a movie set.

 

DSC01007

Leading to the abbey-really cool stairway.

 

DSC01019

 

 

DSC01021

Hallway in the abbey.   I must watch the Harry Potter movie to see if I recognize the places we saw.

 DSC01026

A classroom in Harry Potter?

 

DSC01029

 

DSC01030

 

 

DSC01031

Outside the Abbey, it's clouding up, but never rained.

 

DSC01036

The Garden outside the abbey is much prettier that photos can convey.

 

DSC01037

Can you find two bees in this photo?

 

DSC01041

Gazillions of walls like this all over England

 

DSC01042

Goodbye to the Abbey

 

Slimbridge Wild Fowl Refuge

When we made the decision to visit the Slimbridge Wildfowl Refuge along the Severn River near Glouscestershire, we thought we were going to see lots of birds, but we were unprepared for what we actually did see.

Slimbridge, created by naturalist Peter Scott in the 1940's is a refuge for the world's largest collection of swans, geese, and ducks and a home to rare birds and threatened species of birds from all over the world.   We didn't know this when we arrived late in the day about an hour and a half before closing.  

After paying for admission, Dan and I crossed a bridge that led us to a pond that I can only describe as Swan Lake.    I was aghast to see dozens of swans of different breeds all swimming around together in this pond.   I wondered how there could be so many in one place.  Apparently, Slimbridge is kind of like a nursing home for old swans as well as a home to those who haven't found their life mates.

DSC01044

Black Swans and White Swans

 

DSC01050

Getting up close and personal with the birds was something I did not expect, as many have habituated to humans visiting this refuge.    I would sit on the side of the pond and shoot pictures of all kinds while these water fowl gazed back at me.   Since it was getting close to closing time, Dan and I pretty much had the place to ourselves.   

The pond was just the beginning of our walk through Slimbridge.   After admiring the swans for several minutes, we moved through the footpath through bridges and waterways to view dozens of other species of birds.   Even Dan seemed to be impressed at the colorful and unusual varieties of birds.

DSC01099

  I will have to find out the name of this one.  He was gorgeous.

DSC01062 Rare Nene geese-a mom and her almost grown goslings. 

 

As we walked along the footpath, I became more and more dazzled by the amazing variety of birds, and even more by the fact that we could get so close to them.   

DSC01054

Taken about two feet away.

 

DSC01064

I know this guy has to be rare.

I was photographing a very unusual bird who had just decided to come out and do a photo session.   She seemed to be searching for something  on the ground or else she was trying to impress me with her cuteness.  That wasn't very hard to do.

While I was squatting on the ground taking photos of her, Dan said, "Susan, there's a duck standing right behind you.  Be careful when you get up."    I turned my head and looked behind me and sure enough,  there was a duck so close, I would have stepped on her if Dan had not warned me. 

DSC01071       DSC01072

Looking for something?

 

DSC01075

Putting her bill right up to the camera.

She was not the prettiest bird in the place and had a bald spot on her head.   I was surrounded by so many other gorgeous birds, that I kind of ignored her as I got up carefully and Dan and I continued down the footpath along the lake to see what other magnificent water fowl we might discover.

 

DSC01083

As we turned the corner to a wide spot in the lake, we saw a beautiful duck swimming with her ducklings.  How beautiful they were!   Just as I was crouching down shooting photos of them, Dan told me to turn around and look behind me.   Turning my head, I found that the duck with the bald spot had followed me and was again right behind me on the bench.

 

DSC01085

Photographing these beautiful birds, I looked behind me to see my stalker.

 

DSC01086

That's odd, I thought.  Why is this bird following me?  I don't have food for her, doesn't she know.  

Dan thinks it's really weird that I started talking to this duck and asking her why she was following me.  I felt a little flattered thinking, she really likes me and that's why she keeps following me.   I didn't know the truth, but did know we had to get going because closing time was near.

 

DSC01087

I said goodbye to my bald duck friend and carried on toward the exit of this particular section.   After walking a good bit, I turned around and saw the following:

 

DSC01089

So I stopped for a moment.

 

DSC01090

 

 

DSC01091

And here she was again. 

Sadly, I had to leave my little bald friend behind.

 

 

 

Dan and I had to get going.  It was time to find our B & B, The Crown Inn, and Slimbridge was getting ready to close.   The truth is that my little bald friend probably thought I had some food hidden away from her and that if she was persistent enough, she would get a treat.   But, I still like to think that she really liked me.

Stroud

Between Stroud and Cirencester on the southern end of the Cotswolds ( more about this later), lies a secluded B & B called The Crown Inn.   This was a magnificent place to stay, not only because the food was great, the accommodations were good, but also because of the dramatic scenery close by.  We don't know for sure, but think they are rape seed fields.  

After dinner, Dan and I took a walk down the road.

DSC01106

DSC01129

DSC01112

 

DSC01116

 

DSC01120

 

DSC01124 

 

End of the day.  Time to go back to our B & B.

3 comments:

Janice said...

The duck story is the absolute best. I know that she recognized you; perhaps the reincarnation of a much loved but long gone pet. I wish there was some way you could bring her home. You could bring her to my house to swim in the pool. I bet that place is open to adoptions. That's it! You must go back and find out about bringing her home with you. You could get one of those purses that are meant to carry little dogs. She could go with you everywhere. Maybe she is your pequeno. Well, certainly this is your decision but if you need some help making up your mind, you just give me a call. Anytime. Really. Absolutely great story and pictures. I look forward to the next installment. Much love, Pequeno's mom.

peaches said...

How wonderful to see the beautiful photos some part in Europe. Thanks to google and also to the person who have time to spend taking pictures, I want to say that I am your new fan. I might be too crazy but a simple lady like me is honor to see that even though it is only on net. I love the houses, roads, buildings and other pretty things like flowers,bees and the duck that you've been following. I hope someday that I can visit the Europe and learn the culture there. :)

peaches said...

I love the swans! We have swan here in the Philippines but currently I never see black swan. Thank you for your time reading my comments. Please don't hesitate to inform me about your new photos. I was about at the prospect of new details. This is my email chezpy_27@yahoo.com or my phone +639152840759. Thank you for your patience and understanding.